Friday, April 30, 2010

Sonnet 15

National Poetry month officially ends today. In honor of that, here is one of my favorite poems:

Only until this cigarette is ended,
A little moment at the end of all
While on the floor the quiet ashes fall,
And in the firelight to a lance extended,
Bizarrely with the jazzing music blended,
The broken shadow dances on the wall,
I will permit my memory to recall
The vision of you, by all my dreams attended.
And then adieu -- farewell! -- the dream is done.
Yours is a face of which I can forget
The color and the features, every one,
The words not ever, and the smiles not yet;
But in your day this moment is the sun
Upon the hill, after the sun has set.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Click this link to watch a video of Tyne Daly reciting this poem. It is fantastically beautiful.

I'd love to get some comments on this post telling me your favorite poems. I'll post them, and we can all enjoy.

No comments: